Why I Enjoy Reading

Saturday, August 20, 2011
There are many reasons I turn to reading. Reading is one of the ways I transcend the normal boredom of life and the rush of life. When I read, it helps me to relax and escape the stress of everyday life. When I read, I sometimes learn interesting things. Relaxing, escaping, and learning are my favorite things about reading.



Above all, relaxing is my favorite thing about reading. While I am reading a novel, I can just relax and not have to worry about anything that is going on outside of the story I am reading. Instead of worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow, I will just pick up a good book and read for hours and not worry about it anymore. What I really enjoy about reading a good book is that is for some reason I cannot fall nasleep on a certain night, I can just reach over to my bed stand and grab my book and start to read. Reading helps me to fall asleep because it is soothing and relaxing. It is not something I have to worry about.



In addition to relaxing while I read, I can also escape the reality of my life and transform myself into someone else for a short amount of time, before I come back to being myself. When I read I can transform into any character the story portrays. I can escape into the story. And I don’t have to deal with life’s problems. For example, the last time I escaped from my life was while I was reading the book, To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I was in the town of Maycomb, Alabama. I witnessed the unfair trial of Tom Robinson as he was an example of an innocent victim without proper evidence. Tom received an undeserved guilty verdict. This elicited my sympathy for Tom and drew me into the character and the story. I think escaping is a wonderful thing to do for my imagination. It helps to expand my opinion of the world and the people in it.



While I am reading, I can learning from reading. Reading a simple storybook can be just as educational as reading a chemistry textbook. Reading and learning go hand in hand because while I read, I not only get better at reading, but I also learn spelling and grammar in the process. While reading a book I learn things that are crucial to life and things that are not as crucial to life, but are in any case still good to learn. I have learned many important life lessons by my reading about the mistakes made and lessons by the character, among other things. for example, the book Tuesdays with Morrie taught me about the importance of having love and concern for other people. As a result of theses lessons, I will be able to make better choices in my life. In spite of some people’s opinions of reading, I still believe that reading is one of the most important things to be able to do in life.



As I have mentioned above, reading is many things to me. Reading is very important to me in my life. Relaxing is the way I transcend. Escaping is the way I build my imagination. And learning, is what happens while I have fun reading. All the above are a part of why I can never enjoy reading too much. I believe reading is a great way to end and long day at work, school, or even after a day of plain relaxing. Reading while I am curled up in front of a fireplace or in my bed is a great way to just be myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment